WEST BILNEY is a village and parish 1½ miles east of East Winch station on the Great Eastern railway (Lynn and Norwich line), 7 east-south-east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Cecilia is a small ancient structure, with nave and a square embattled tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £60, in the gift of Edward Rowing Brasnett esq. and held sice 1875 by the Rev. John Samuel Broad M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, who is also icar of Pentney, whee he resides. Bilney Hall, the residence of Robert Henry Household esq. is a handsome building, situate in a well timbered park, surrounded by extensive plantations and drives. Edward Rowling Brasnett esq. is lord of the manor. Edward Rowing Brasnett amd John Brsnett esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is sand, loam and a little clay; subsoil, gavel and sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats, tunrips and hay. The area is 2,367 acres; rateable value, £2,591; and the population in 1881 was 223.
Letters through Lynn arrive at 8.30 am.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Narborough. WALL BOX cleared at 4.10 p.m.
Here is a national school for West Bilney & Pentney, about midway between the churches; Matin Luther Martin, master' Miss Elizabeth Smith, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of East Winch (including West Bilney) [Norfolk Archeology]
More on West Bilney [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page