See also East Bradenham
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bradenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
West Bradenham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on West Bradenham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - West Bradenham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.253-4.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

WEST BRADENHAM is a village and parish, 3 miles south from Wendling station and 6 south-west from East Dereham, in the Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, the rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient flint edifice, in the Perpendicular and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and tower with clock and 2 bells: there are three stained glass windows in the west end of the nave, and one in the chancel, erected to members of the Haggard family: in the chancel is a very old marble gravestone to the memory of Thomas Cayley, rector here temp. Edw. I. to whose ancestors the manor was granted at the Conquest by the Earl de Warenne of Castle Acre: the church was restored in 1857, and the chancel has been repaired by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The register dates from the year 1520. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1882 by the Rev. Henry Hetherington T.A.K.C.L. The great tithes belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There are two trusts, which together produce an income of about £35 a year, arising from cottages and land, granted at the enclosure of the Common, which money is distributed in coal to the poor according to the discretion of the trustees. Bradenham Hall, the seat of Wm. Meybohm Rider Haggard esq. J.P., D.L. was built in 1772: it is a red brick mansion, well situated, standing on one of the highest spots of the county, surrounded by extensive plantations of old growth. Bradenham Wood, close by it, is a well-known meet of the Norfolk foxhounds. William M. Rider Haggard esq. J.P., D.L. chairman of the quarter sessions of Western division of Norfolk, is lord of the manor of West Bradenham and chief landowner; the Girling family are lords of Bokenham manor. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,682 acres; rateable value, £2,939; the population in 1881 was 305.

_____

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings. Bank— Richard Shearing, receiver. Letters received through Thetford, arrive at 7.30 a.m. & dispatched at 5.45 p.m.; sundays, dispatched at 10.30 a.m.; telegraph office at Shipdham

National School & a house for the teacher were erected in 1853, at a cost of £1,350, raised by subscription & educational grants, on a site presented by William Haggard esq. to hold 70 children, average attendance 40; Mrs. Letitia Cooper, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated November 2010.

See also East Bradenham
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bradenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
West Bradenham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on West Bradenham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page