1891 Census Names Index
West Harling Church
Kelly's 1937
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Harling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Harling [GENUKI-NFK]
and see East Harling
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - West Harling

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.336.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WEST HARLING is a parish 2½ miles south from the Harling Road railway station and 7 north-east from Thetford in the southern vale of the river Thet, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Guiltcross, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The Hall is a brick built mansion, in the centre of an extensive and beautiful park, watered by the river Thet: it is the property of Sir George Edward Nugent bart. J.P. and now occupied by Charles John Ross esq. The church of All Souls is an ancient flint structure, standing in the park: it is in Decorated style and consists of chancel, nave and square embattled tower with 1 bell: in the chancel are several very ancient brasses. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value £168, with residence and 20 acres of glebe in the gift of the Hon. Lady Nugent and held since 1883 by the Rev. Edward George Boultbee Inge. Gawdy's charity of £21 yearly is distributed in clothing. Sir G. E. Nugent bart. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Mr. Timothy Colman, who resides at East Harling, farms most of the land. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, rye, barley and oats. The area is 3,013A. 2R. 5P.; reateable value £1,308; the population in 1881 was 118.

_____

Letters from Thetford, viâ East Harling, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

The children attend East Harling school

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
West Harling Church
Kelly's 1937
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on West Harling [GENUKI-NFK]
Harling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
and see East Harling
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page