WEST HARLING is situated in the southern vale of the river 2½ miles south from Harling Road station on the Thetford and Norwich section of the London and North-Eastern and 7 north-east from Thetford. Middle or Little Harling was united to West Harling in 1433. The church of All Saints, situated in the Park, is an ancient structure of in the Decorated style consisting of chancel with chapel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 8 tubular bells, presented by Lady Nugent: in the chapel (now a vestry) were buried several members of the Gawdy and Berdwell families, including John Gawdy, ob, 29 Nov. 1694. The church was thoroughly restored by Sir Edmund Nugent, bart. in 1902; the pulpit was a gift of Lady Nugent. There are 100 sittings.. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of East Harling. The Town Lands lying in Banham, and given by Margaret, wife of John Gawdy, esq. mentioned above, produce about £4 yearly: other land given by the same person was sold in 1906 and the proceeds vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and now produce £16 yearly. The money is used for the support of a medical charity and clothing club. In the time of William the Conqueror there were here several small manors held as a berewic of the capital manor of Kenninghamm by the Albinis and their successors, the de Angerville family. About 1564 the estate was purchased by Bassingbourne Gawdy esq. of Mendham, Suffolk, from whom it descended to the family of Berdwell and was held by them for many years, and subsequently came into th hands of Nicholas William (Ridley-Colbourne), 1st Baron Colborne, whose seat it was until his death, 3rd May 1854, when the title became extinct. The Forestry Commissioners are the principal landowners. In the park of the Bardwell Hall estate is the site, now indicated by a circular plantation, of the church of St. Andrew, Middle Harling, demolished in 1543. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, rye, barley and oats.
Letters from Norwich via East Harling, which is the nearest M.O. and T.E.D. Office
Transcription © Copyright R.C. Tuck, January 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
West Harling Church
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Harling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Harling [GENUKI-NFK]
and see East Harling
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page