WEST LEXHAM is a parish 4 miles north from Dunham station, and 5¾ north from Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, Swaffham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas is a small but very old stone building in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, tower and 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1689. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £195 10s. with 56A. 2R. of glebe and good residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1873 by the Rev.Francis Fenwick Reaveleu B.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. The poor cut fuel from oak stubs annually, and a dole of £1 12s, is yearly distributed among them. The parish consists of one farm, in the occupation of Harris Harrison esq. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is a light loam; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips, and some land is in pasture. The area is 1,126 acres; rateable value £1,061; the population in 1881 was 134.Letters through Swaffham viā Litcham is the the nearest money order and telegraph office
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lexham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Lexham [GENUKI-NFK]
and see East Lexham
Paddy's Home Page