1891 Census Names Index
Marriages Index (1730-1812) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
West Lynn postmill {Jonathan Neville]
More about West Lynn [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on West Lynn [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - West Lynn

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.388-9.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WEST LYNN is a village, parish and station on the Lynn and Sutton Bridge railway, situated on the west side of the Great Ouse river, opposite the town of King's Lynn, with which it communicates by ferry for foot passengers. There is a bridge, called the Marshland Iron Bridge, over the New Cut on the south side of the harbour, and carriages have to go round by this bridge, thus making the distance to Lynn by road nearly 3 miles. West Lynn is in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union and county court district of King's Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter was erected soon after the destruction of one which was washed away by the inundation of 1271, on a piece of ground which the then rector, William Pakenham, procured for that purpose; it is in the late Perpendicular style, having transepts, nave, square tower with 1 bell: there is a fine brass to Sir Adam Outlawe, who died in 1503: the east window is stained in four compartments, and represents The Three Martyrs at the Tomb of Our Saviour: it was erected in July 1849, to the memory of Amelia Walker, of North Lynn, by her three sisters: there is an ancient stone octagonal font with the seven sacraments of the Catholic church in relief upon it: the seats are of carved oak. The register dates from the year 1695. The living is a rectory, yearly value about 500, including 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of Joseph Phipps Townsend esq. M.A. and held since 1863 by the Rev. Frederick Jackson M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. There are charities amounting to 12 a year. The land is all freehold. The trustees of the late Christopher Goddard, Sir William Hovell Browne ffolkes bart. M.P., D.L., J.P. William Clifton esq. the Dean and Chapter of Ely and the Ouse Outfall Board, are the principal landowners. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay and silt. The chief crops are wheat, oas, beans, peas amd pasture. The area of the parish is 1,619 acres; rateable value, 4,185 15s.; the population in 1881 was 576.



POST, MONEY ORDER OFFICE, & Savings Bank.—John Rolfe Reach receiver. Letters arrive from Lynn at 6.40 a.m. & 12.20 p.m.; dispatched at 10.40 a.m. & 5.40 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Lynn

There is a National school for boys & girls; Edward Ambrose Mitchley, master

Railway Station, James Blackburn, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Marriages Index (1730-1812) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
West Lynn postmill {Jonathan Neville]
More about West Lynn [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on West Lynn [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page