WEST NEWTON is a village and parish 7 miles north-north-east from Lynn and 2 east from Wolferton railway station, adjoining Sandringham, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of carr stone, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, porch and square western tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, annexed to Sandringham, yearly value £180, with residence and 7 acres of glebe, in the gift of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Frederick Alfred John Hervey M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also rector of and resides at Sandringham, and domestic chaplain to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales. The fuel allotment consists of 121 acres. Opposite the church is a beautiful building, in the Swiss Cottage style, erected in 1873, by their Royal Highnesses for the extra guests at Sandringham. The public road has been diverted through the village, in order to enlarge the park. A number of picturesque cottages have been built in this parish by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, principally for the use of persons employed on his estate at Sandringham. H.R.H. the Prince of Wales is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is sandy and chalk; subsoil, chalk, carr stone and gravel. The land is cultivated on the four-course system. The area is 1,230 acres; rateable value, £1,516; the population in 1881 was 329.
POST OFFICE.---Henry Cook, receiver. Letters through Lynn viâ Dersingham, arrive at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m.; the box closes at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Sandringham.
Day School (in connection with Sandringham) to hold about 30 scholars, average attendance 20; Walter Jones, schoolmaster
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
West Newton postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Sandringham (including West Newton) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Newton [GENUKI-NFK]
Description and photographs [Jim Newton]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page