1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
West Rudham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Rudham [GENUKI-NFK]
More parish information on West Rudham [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see East Rudham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - West Rudham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 479.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WEST RUDHAM is a parish and village 2 miles from East Rudham station, on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and 8 west from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is an ancient Gothic building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and low square western tower: the rood screen, under the chancel arch, remains: the roof is flat, and covered with lead. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a vicarage, annexed to East Rudham, joint yearly value 560. in the gift of the Marquess Townshend, who is lay impropriator, and held since 1867 by the Rev. Francis Garratt Wilson B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who resides at East Rudham. Here is a chapel for the Methodist New Connexion. The Marquess of Townshend, who is lord of the manor, and the Marquess of Chalmondeley, are the principal landowners. The soil is of a mixed character; subsoil, chalk, marl and clay. The crops are on the four-course shift. The area is 2,835 acres; rateable value, 3,251; the population in 1881 was 473.


Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
West Rudham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Rudham [GENUKI-NFK]
More parish information on West Rudham [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see East Rudham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page