WEST TOFTS is a parish and village, 5 miles north-east from Brandon station on the Ely and Thetford section of the London & North Eastern railway, in the South Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Thetford, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of St Mary is a building of flint with stone dressings, in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel with nave, south transept, north aisle, and a western tower, with lead-covered spire, containing a clock and 8 bells: the transept, north aisle and porch have been rebuilt, and the interior of the church restored and elaborately decorated: it has two finely carved screens, that in the chancel being richly gilt, and the whole of the windows are stained: in the chapel on the south side of the chancel are the tombs of Sir Richard Sutton, 2nd bart. d. 13th Nov. 1855, and Elizabeth (Burton), his wife, d. 1841: in a chapel in the north aisle is a memorial to Emma Helena ( Sherlock), wife of Sir John Sutton 3rd bart. d. Jan. 1845: there are brasses to Emily Mary (Sutton), wife of Lord Arthur Edwin Hill-Trevor (created Baron Trevor in 1880), d. 24 Jan 1855, and to her sister Sophia Louisa (Sutton), wife of Col. Samuel William Clowes M.P. d. 18 Feb. 1853; and monuments to the Partridges, formerly of Buckingham House, 1733-60: the brass eagle lectern and altar furniture are memorials to the late Rev. Augustus Sutton M.A. prebendary of Lincoln and rector here 1849-85: there 180 sittings. The register dates from the year 1733. The living is a rectory, united to that of Buckingham Tofts, joint net yearly value £90, with 4 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Rev. A. F. Sutton, and held since 1923 by the Rev Claude Arthur Everitt B.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, who is also sequestrator of Stanford. The soil is mixed, clay and sand; subsoil, gravel and chalk. The chief crops are rye, barley and turnips. The area is 3,067 acres of land and 15 of water; rateable value, £838; the population in 1921 was 135.
Letters through Mundford, about 2 miles distant, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Public Elementary School (mixed), for 72 children, Miss Nora Johnson, mistress
© Transcription Copyright John Baldry, October 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1854; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lynfod (& West Tofts) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page