TOFTS (WEST) is a parish 6 miles N.N.W. of Thetford, comprising a small hamlet of cottages, a farm-house, the old hall, 182 inhabitants, and 2292 acres of land. including 500 acres of wood, ornamenting the extensive park of West Tofts Hall, which is now added to that of Lynford Hall, the farm and sporting seat of Sir Rd. Sutton, Bart., who purchased this manor of John Moseley, Esq., together with all the soil of the parish, except about 400A. belonging to Lords Walsingham and Ashburton. The CHURCH (St. Mary) is an ancient building, and was thoroughly repaired, and beautified with stained glass about 15 years ago, by Sir Richard Sutton, the patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £8, and in 1831 at £110, and now enjoyed by the Rev. W. E. Sims, of Stoke Ferry. The parishioners of West Tofts and Lynford are mostly in the employ of Sir Richard Sutton, who owns and occupies most of the two parishes. (See page 395 [which is the description of Lynford].) J. Lingley is the gamekeeper.
Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling, March 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883 and 1925
White's 1854; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lynfod (& West Tofts) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Book review ("A Norfolk Woman")
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page