1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883 and 1925
White's 1845; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lynfod (& West Tofts) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Book review ("A Norfolk Woman")
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - West Tofts

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 755

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

TOFTS (WEST), 6 miles N.N.W. of Thetford, is a parish and small village, comprising 191 souls, 33 houses, and 2,292 acres of land, including 500 acres of wood, ornamenting the extensive park of West Tofts Hall, which is now added to that of Lynford Hall, the farm and sporting seat of Sir Rd. Sutton, Bart., who owns the whole parish, except 170a. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has been thoroughly restored and beautified, and the north aisle and porch rebuilt; the seats, pulpit, and reading desk, are of carved oak, and all the windows are richly decorated with stained glass; the latter at the expense of Jno. Sutton, Esq. A fine peal of 8 bells, and a clock, were given by the incumbent, the Rev. A. Sutton, B.A. A chapel on the south side contains a fine monument, in memory of Lady Sutton, who died in 1842. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £8, and in 1831 at £110, in the gift of Sir R. Sutton, who built a Free School in 1851

DIRECTORY.—

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883 and 1925
White's 1845; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lynfod (& West Tofts) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Book review ("A Norfolk Woman")
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page