TOFTS (WEST) is a parish 6 miles N.N.W. of Thetford, in Thetford union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Grimshoe petty sessional division and hundred, South Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archeaconry, and Methwold polling district of West Norfolk. It had 189 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3051 acres of land, including 500 acres of wood ornamenting the extensive park of West Tofts Hall, which is now added to that of Lynford Hall, the seat of Mrs. Stephens, who is lady of the manor; but W. A. T. Amherst, Esq., M.P., Lord Walsingham, and Rev. A. Sutton, M.A., J.P., have estates in this parish. The CHURCH (St. Mary), is a fine ancient edifice, comprising nave, north aisle, chancel, south porch, and square tower. The latter contains eight bells, a clock, and chimes, and is surmounted by a small spire. There are also two bells in a small turret over the chancel arch. The building was thoroughly repaired and partly rebuilt, and the windows were all filled with beautiful stained glass about 1829 by the late Sir Richard Sutton, Bart. The chancel, which is paved with encaustic tiles, contains a beautiful organ and has a handsome reredos. The interior is fitted with handsome open benches of oak, and contains two piscinas, a good chancel screen, several monuments of the Sutton and Partridge families, one of which, in memory of Sir Richard and Lady Sutton, is a handsome tomb, under a richly gilded canopy, in a small transept on the south side of the chancel. There are two brasses in the north wall in memory of members of the Sutton family, viz., Lady Arthur Hill and Mrs. Clowes, sisters of Sir John Sutton; a tomb in a chapel on the north is in memory of Emma Helena, wife of Sir John Sutton. The roof of the chancel is richly painted and gilt and bears pictures of the twelve apostles. The Registry dates from 1773. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £8, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev.Augustus Sutton, M.A., who resides at the old hall, now converted into the rectory. The glebe is four acres, and the tithes have been commuted for £200 per annum. Here is a school, built in 1851, and supported by voluntary rates, and attended by sixty children.
Here is a WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 7 p.m., viâ Brandon through Mundford, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
CARRIERS pass through to Brandon & Watton
Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling, April 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883 and 1925
White's 1845; and 1854
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lynfod (& West Tofts) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Book review ("A Norfolk Woman")
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page