1891 Census Names Index
White's 1864 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Marriages [Alan Gresley]
West Walton Highway tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
West Walton Ingleborough tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
West Walton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Walton [GENUKI-NFK]
And see East Walton
And see Marshland St. James
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - West Walton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.544-5.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WEST WALTON is a parish and village, 3 miles north-east from Wisbech and 12 south-east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Marshland hundred, union and county court district of Wisbech, rural deanery of Lynn, and achdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the river Nene, which divides this county from Cambridgeshire. The Midland Railway Company have a station on the Cambridgeshire side of the river , called Ferry statsion, where there is a ferry over. The Great Eastern railway has a station at Smeeth, about 5 miles from the church. The church of St. Mary, built about the year 1240, is very handsome, in the Early English style, comprising chancel, nave, aisles and tower detached and about 60 feet from the body of the church, forming a great lych-gate entrance to the church yard; it contains 5 bells and is remarkable for its extraordinarily chaste proportions: there is an entrance porch on the south side, the antiquity and beauty of which are remarkable; and there are also doors at the west and north sides, both of which are tastefully carved; the nave is separated from the aisles by handsome arcaded stone colonnades: the church is a present very much in need of repair. The register dates from the year 1576. The living is a consolidated rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, commuted at 1,374 yearly, with 2 acres of glebe, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Walter Elliott Browne, of London University. There is also a Mission chuch, licensed for public worship, situated 1 miles from the church, at the Fen end. The Baptists have a chapel at the Fen end, and the Primitive Methodists one at the Church end of the parish. The poor have the benefit of a charity called the Poor estate, consisting of 26 acres, which produced in 1882 the sum of 115, which is distrbuted in money. Edward Hugh Jackson is lord of the manor of West Walton Colerane, and also of the manors of West Walton-cum-Membris, and of the manor of West Walton Colville. The principal landowners are Messrs. Edward William and William Henry Trafford, Joseph Johnson and Edward Southwell Trafford. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, peas, beans and potatoes; there is also much pasture land. The area is 5,223 acres; rateable value, 9,244; the population in 1881 was 860.



Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1864 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Marriages [Alan Gresley]
West Walton Highway tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
West Walton Ingleborough tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
West Walton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Walton [GENUKI-NFK]
And see East Walton
And see Marshland St. James
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page