WEST WINCH is a village and parish 3 miles south from Lynn. in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an ancient flint and rubble structure, in the Early English (circa 1180) and Perpendicular styles; it was probably erected in the twelfth and fifteenth centuries, and consists of chancel, with a vestry or sacristy on the north side, a nave, with a south aisle separated from the nave by Pointed arches with varied capitals, and a curious south porch: at the western extremity of the nave is a square embattled tower of four storeys, containing the shield of the present lord of the manor, the Marquis of Cholmondeley, also clock and 3 bells. The rents of the church lands are applied to the repair of the fabric and ornamentation of the church, and are amply sufficient for the purpose.. The register dates from the year 1550. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £400, with residence and 29 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1846 by the Rev. George Eller M.A. of Queen's College, Cambridge. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship here. The lands belonging to the poor of West Winch yield a rental of about £35, which is chiefly expended in coals. The Marquis of Cholmondeley, who is lord of the manor, and Thomas R. Whitaker esq. are chief landowners. The soil is mostly gravel and sand. The crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 970 acres; rateable value, £2,818; the population in 1881 was 408.
POST OFFICE.Miss Mary Ann Winch, receiver.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
West Winch towermill
Archeology of West Winch [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Winch [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page