WEST WRETHAM is a parish 2 miles west from Wretham station and 6 north-east from Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, Thetford union and county court district, Shropham hundred, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. There was formerly a church dedicated to St. Lawrence, but it is in ruins. The living is consolidated with that of East Wretham. Wretham Hall is an elegant mansion in a well-wooded park of 600 acres, the seat of William Morris esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is included with East Wretham; rateable value, £1,561 5s.; the population in 1881 was 140.
FOULMERE, 2½ miles south-west from Wretham station, is in this parish.
Letters from Thetford. Hockham is the nearest money order office, East Wretham the telegraph office.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1854; and 1883 for East & West Wretham
Kelly's 1896 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wretham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on West Wretham [GENUKI-NFK]
and see East Wretham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page