WESTFIELD is a parish 2 miles south from East Dereham and 1 mile west from Yaxham station, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small flint building, in the Early English style, consisting of a nave, with a low square tower, containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1706. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Whinburgh, in the gift of Mrs. Grigson and held since 1883 by the Rev. Edward Grigson B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, who resides at Whinburgh. The tithes of the consolidated rectories are commuted at £314, with about 43 acres of glebe in the united parishes. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1876. The fuel allotment is 7 acres. The trustees of Sir William Robert Clayton bart. are lords of the manor. John Porter Smith esq. and John Stovin Porter esq. and Mrs. Grigson are the principal landowners. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay. The crops are good malting barley and wheat. The area is 569 acres; rateable value, £1,158; the population in 1881 was 112.
Letters through East Dereham, which is the nearest money order & post office savings bank & telegraph office. There is a receiving house at Yaxham.
This place is included in the United School Board district of Whinburgh & Westfield, formed in 1875; the children attend the Board school at Whinburgh.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Whinburgh & Westfield [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Westfield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page