1891 Census Names Index
The Parson Woodforde Society
Weston Longville Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Weston Longville [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Weston Longville

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.553.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WESTON LONGVILLE is a parish and widely scattered village, 1 mile from Lenwade station on the Eastern and Midlands railway and about 9 north-west from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an ancient flint building in the Decorated and Later English styles, consisting chancel, nave, aisles, and square embattled tower with 5 bells: there are three stone sedilia of elegant design in the chancel, and in the window the remains of some stained glass: a feature of considerable rarity occurs in this church—a large altar-stone or slab, marked with small crosses at each corner and in the centre, symbolical of the Five Wounds; it is placed as a flag-stone in the cross avenue of the nave, without the chancel screen, and has not, as is generally the case, the incised face; this interesting relic is well worthy of careful regard and protection, so few having escaped the profanation of the Civil War in the reign of Charles I. The register dates from the year 1660. The living is a discharged rectory, tithe rent-charge £675, with 51 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Warden and fellows of New College, Oxford, and held since 1870 by the Rev. Charles Cadwallader Egerton M.A. late fellow of that college. The United Methodist Free Church have a place of worship here. Weston House, a beautiful mansion, standing in a park near the river Wensum, is the seat of Sir Hambleton Francis Custance K.C.B., D.L., J.P. who is the chief landowner. Lord Stafford is lord of the manor. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and marl. The area is 2,749A. 1R. 24P.; rateable value, £3,769; the population in 1881 was 404.

Letters from Norwich, viâ Morton-on-the-Hill, dispatched from POST PILLAR BOX, near the church, at 4.30 p.m. on week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Lenwade.

School, for poor children, supported by Mrs. H. F. Custance; Miss Sarah Elizabeth Payne, mistress

CARRIER TO NORWICH.—William Pratt, wed. & sat

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
The Parson Woodforde Society
Weston Longville Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Weston Longville [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page