WESTWICK is a parish and village, with scattered houses, situated on the road from Norwich to North Walsham, 2¼ miles south from North Walsham, and 1 mile west from Worstead station on the North Walsham branch of the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court distract, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Botolph is Decorated and Perpendicular, surrounded by trees, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and tower with 1 bell: there is a richly carved screen, and several monuments to the Berry and Petre families: the church was entirely repaired, and the ancient work and ornaments restored, by J. Petre esq. in 1845. The register dates from the year 1642. The living is a rectory, yearly value £195, including 19 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. Petre, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Henry John Coleman M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Westwick House, the seat of Mrs. Petre, is a handsome white stuccoed mansion, built in the reign of Queen Anne, with noble park and plantations. Mrs. Petre is lady of the manor and chief landowner: not far from the house is a look-out, about 90 feet high, with an apartment at the summit, commanding a view of the sea-coast. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,043 acres of wood and arable; reateable value £1,429; and the population in 1881 was 181.
POST OFFICE.Mrs. Mary Sidell, receiver. Letters through Norwich; arrive at 5.35 a.m., dispatched at 4.45 p.m. Worsted is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
1891 Census Names Index
Westwick archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Westwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Register Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page