WHEATACRE ALL SAINTS is a small village and parish 4½ miles north-east from Beccles, 1½ miles south-east from Aldeby railway station, and 13 miles south-west from Yarmouth, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court districts, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an ancient flint structure, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, with thatched roof and square tower containing 1 bell.: the nave is separated form the chancel by a carved screen and the chancel arch is decorated with carved roses: there is an ancient font, and in the chancel is a piscina. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory; the tithes have been commuted for £224 yearly, and there are 70 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge and held sine 1858 by the Rev. William Henry Brown M.A. formerly fellow of that college. The poor's land consists of 8A. 3R. let for about £20 yearly, which sum is distributed in coals among the poor. The trustees of the late R. H. Gurney are lords of the manor and principal owners of the land. The soil is mixed, one half being marsh land; subsoil, marl, sand and a little clay. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and hay. The area is 1,163 acres; rateable value £1,566; the population in 1881 was 144.
Letters through Beccles, the nearest money order office
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Wheatacre & Burgh St. Peter, with Aldeby contributory with two members; J. C. Copeman, Loddon, clerk to the board.
Board School, built in 1879 for 100 children, average attendance, 90; Miss Susannah Mountain, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
White Horse Inn [Norfolk pubs index]
Wheatacre postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Wheatacre Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wheatacre [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Love & Andrew Rivett]
and see Burgh St. Peter (Wheatacre Burgh)
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page