1891 Census Names Indes
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Whinburgh & Westfield [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Whinburgh.htm [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Whinburgh

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.554.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WHINBURGH (or WHINBERGH) is a village and parish 3½ miles south from East Dereham and 1½ south from Yaxham station, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a structure of flint, in the Early English style, and has been much improved of late years: it consists of chancel and nave and low square tower with 2 bells: the Gothic west window is much admired. The register dates from the year 1703. The living is a rectory, with that of Westfield annexed, in the gift of Mrs. Grigson, and held by the Rev. Edward Grigson B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The tithes of the consolidated rectories are commuted for £314. The Rectory house is here, and there are 43 acres of glebe belonging to the living. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1879. The charities are £12 yearly value, including a fuel allotment of 5 acres which is let for £10. The trustees of Sir William Robert Clayton bart. are lords of the manor. John Stovin Porter esq. John Marcon esq. and George Latham Press esq. J.P. are the principal landowners. The land, some of which is heavy, grows wheat and good malting barley; subsoil, principally clay. The area is 1,241 acres; rateable value £2,387; the population in 1881 was 226.

_____

PILLAR BOX.— Hours of collection 5.30 p.m.; no collection on sundays. Letters through East Dereham, the nearest money order & telegraph office; there is a receiving house at Yaxham, the adjacent parish

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Whinburgh & Westfield; R. Gregson, Upper King street, Norwich, clerk to the board

Board School, erected in 1875, at a cost of £900, for 50 children, average attendance 49; Mrs. Rebecca Holloway, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Indes
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Whinburgh & Westfield [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Whinburgh.htm [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page