1891 Census Names Indes
Mitford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Whinburgh & Westfield [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Whinburgh.htm [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Whinburgh

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 819-820

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]

WHINBURGH, or Whinbergh, 3½ miles S.S.E. of East Dereham, is a parish and scattered village on the Hingham road, comprising 262 souls, 51 houses, and 1,241a. 3r. 2p. of land, mostly the property of Sir W. R. Clayton, Bart. : but Messrs. Geo. Prest, Jno. Marken, and W. P. Salter, have also estates here. Wm. Hoy, Esq., is lord of the manor. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £6 18s. 6d., and now enjoyed with that of Westfield by the Rev. Wm. Grigson, whose father purchased the patronage of both the livings in 1838, of Sir W. R. Clayton, Bart. The united rectories were valued in 1831 at £302. About 500a., called Whinburgh Park, pays only a yearly modus of 20s. ; and the tithes of the rest of the parish are commuted for £180 12s., of which £5 5s. is paid to the rector of Yaxham. Lord Bardolph, in the 15th of Edward I., claimed here view of frank-pledge, a weekly market, and an annual fair. In 1810 an allotment of 5a. was awarded to the poor, who have also £2 12s. a year from Mowting's Woods. and Darcey's charities, and the value of three bushels of wheat out of a farm occupied by Mr. W. P. Salter.

Bowden Geo. vict. & wheelwright, 3 Horse Shoes
Grigson Rev. Wm. M.A. Rectory
Hudson Robt. blacksmith
Lincoln Danl. cooper
Mallett Wm. shopkpr
Nicholson Danl. wheelwright
Pleasence Jas. shoemkr
Farmers.
Cook Isaac, Park Farm
Godfrey Fras.
Mayes Matt.
Salter W. P. New Hall
Vincent Lacey E. Old Hall
Vincent William

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Indes
Mitford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Whinburgh & Westfield [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Whinburgh.htm [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page