WHISSONSETT, 5 miles S. of Fakenham, is a village and parish, comprising 666 inhabitants, 155 houses, and 1,345 acres of land, belonging to a number of owners ; but Mrs. Jones is lady of the manor. A fair is held here on Whit-Wednesday, for shoes and pedlery. The Church has a tower and four bells, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and has several inscriptions to the Hapton, Gybow, and other families. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £10 3s 4d., is consolidated with Horningtoft, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. E. C. Kemp, who has also 60a. 3r. 29p. of glebe. The joint benefices were valued in 1831 at £722. The Church has been re-pewed and otherwise improved during the last few years. In making a drain in the graveyard, in 1851, a number of silver coins of the reigns of Charles, Edward, and Elizabeth, were found ; also two massive and antique ringsone of gold and the other of silver. The tithes of this parish are commuted for £327. Nicholas Dunham, in 1591, left the yearly rent-charges of 16s. 8d. to this parish, and 3s. 4d. each to Colkirk, Horningtoft, and Oxwick, for the poor.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Whissonsett North postmill and South postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Whissonsett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Whissonsett [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page