WHITLINGHAM is a parish overlooking the river Yare which flows between Thorpe and here, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, 3½ miles east from the Market place, Norwich, and 2 miles west from Trowse station: Whitlingham junction station is in the parish of Thorpe. The church is a ruin on the edge of a precipice over the river: within its walls are several stately trees: the tower, the greater part of which remains, is round, and is ornamented with four full-sized statues. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are lords of the manor. Messrs. Colman are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 542 acres; rateable value, £810, and the population in 1881 was 70.----Letters through Norwich. Trowse is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kirby Bedon (& Whitlingham) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Whitlingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Whitlingham [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page