WHITTINGTON is a hamlet of the parish of Northwold, and was formed into an ecclesiastical district in 1874; the Stoke Ferry station of the Great Eastern railway is in close proximity to the village, which is 2 miles north-west from Northwold and 9½ north-west from Brandon railway station at the junction of the roads from Lynn, Brandon and Thetford, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. Christ church, erected in 1874-5, is a Gothic flint building, with stone dressings, consisting of nave and bell turret: it was built at the sole expense of the late Mrs. Norman, in memory of her husband, the late rector of Northwold. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, endowed by the late Mrs. Norman and held by the Rev. William Thwaites. Here is an extensive malthouse belonging to Messrs. Whitbread, the brewers of London. The principal landowners are James Maher esq. and Dr. Duckett. The soil is various; subsoil, chalk and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley an oats. The population in 1881 was 249.
PILLAR LETTER BOX. Letters arrive through Brandon. Stoke Ferry is the nearest money order office
Endowed School, Miss Thwaites, mistress
The school, formerly used as a Dissenting chapel, was endowed by the late Mrs. Norman, with £3 per cent Consols, producing £60 yearly, also with a small piece of land which brings in £3 yearly; the average attendance of children is 35.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1896 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Whittington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page