1891 Census Names Index
Forehoe Union Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wicklewood High street towermill and Hackford Road tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Wicklewood village pages
Wicklewood Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wicklewood [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wicklewood

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.555.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

WICKLEWOOD is a parish and village 3 miles south-west from Wymondham, and 1 miles south-east from Kimberley station, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred & union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a large and well-built flint stone edifice, in the Perpendicular style, having chancel, nave and square embattled tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1585. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £350, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the joint gift of Algernon Charles Heber Percy esq. and the trustees of the late Rev. M. B. Darby, and held since 1854 by the Rev. William Acton B.A. of Balliol College, Oxford. Here are two chapels for the Primitive Methodists. The fuel allotment of 12 acres produces £12 10s. yearly, which is given to the poor in coals. The union house for the incorporation of Forehoe is situate in this parish, and was built in the year 1777: it is capable of holding 350 inmates, but the average number is about 130 (for particulars of the union, see Wymondham). The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor of Wicklewood, and the patrons of the living are the lords of the manor of Wicklewood Ampnors. The principal landowners are the Earl of Kimberley, the Rev. W. Daniel, Mr. W. Rose and Mr. G. Chaplin. The soil is clayey; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,564 acres; rateable value, £3,205; and the population in 1881 was 728, including 145 in the Union House.

_____

Letters through Wymondham by foot post, viâ Crownthorpe. Wymondham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Wicklewood, Crownthorpe & Hackford; William Partridge Smith, clerk to the Board

Board School for the 3 parishes, erected in 1878 at a cost of £1,387 15s. for 165 children, average attendance 126; Frank Geo. Harris, master; Mrs. Maris Harris, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, August 2000; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Forehoe Union Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wicklewood High street towermill and Hackford Road tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Wicklewood village pages
Wicklewood Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wicklewood [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page