1891 Census Names Index
Forehoe Union Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wicklewood High street towermill and Hackford Road tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Wicklewood village pages
Wicklewood Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wicklewood [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wicklewood

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 478-479

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002.

WICKLEWOOD, a parish and village 3 miles W. of Wymondham, has 159 houses, 894 souls, including 192 in the Forehoe Union Workhouse, and about 1,520 acres of land, belonging to many proprietors ; the largest of whom is Lord Wodehouse, lord of the manor of Wicklewood ; but here is a small rectorial manor, called Ampners. Wicklewood had a market and two fairs granted by Henry VI., but they were obsolete more than two centuries ago. Here is a fine lake of about 20a., which abounds with fish. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a spacious structure, with a square tower, near to which anciently stood another church ; but it was dilapidated in 1367. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 3s. 11½d., and in 1831 at £131, enjoyed by the Rev. M. B. Darby. The patronage is vested in A. C. H. Percy, Esq., E. Darby, and Mary Kett, who are also impropriators of the rectorial tithes, commuted in 1844. The Independents have a small chapel, built about nine years ago. Here is a National school for this parish and Hackford. The Fuel allotment, awarded at the enclosure, is let for £10 a year.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Forehoe Union Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wicklewood High street towermill and Hackford Road tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Wicklewood village pages
Wicklewood Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wicklewood [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page