WIGGENHALL ST. GERMANS is a village and parish 3 miles north-west from Magdalen road station and 4 south from Lynn, situated on either side of the river Ouse, which is here crossed by a wooden bridge, which was thoroughly repaired in 1874, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of Downham, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Germain stands on the east side of the river; it is an ancient rubble edifice, in the Perpendicular style, having chancel, nave, aisles and a stone tower containing 4 bells: the church was restored in 1872, at a cost of £1,100; the interior of the tower was restored and the bells re-hung in 18812. The register dates from the year 1660. The living is a discharged vicarage, gross yearly value £312, with 7 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held by the Rev. Alfred Legge M.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, instituted in 1871. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists and Methodist New Connexion have each a chapel here. The charities amount to £1 1s. yearly, derived from the bridge tolls, and 6s. 8d. left by an unknown donor. The four Wiggenhalls are in the manor of Fitton and are in great part below the high-water level of the Great Ouse, which is confined by strong banks: the Middle Level sluice, constructed in 1877 for draining the fens of the Middle Level district, is in this parish. Gustavus Helsham esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor and Mrs. Royle are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, the same. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area is 1,219 acres, of which 1,031 are on the west side of the river; rateable value £3,040; and the population in 1881 was 530.
A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Wiggenhall St. Germans, Wiggenhall St. Mary the Virgin & Wiggenhall St. Peter; E. Beloe, clerk to the Board.
A Board School, erected here in 1877 for the 3 Wiggenhall parishes to hold 175 children, average attendance 120, Frederick Everson, master; Miss M. Everson, mistress
CARRIER TO LYNN.J. Self, tues. thurs. & sat
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wiggenhall St. Germans Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about Wiggenhall St. German [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Wiggenhall St. Mary, St. Mary Magdalene, and St. Peters