1891 Census Names Index
Marriages (1744-1805) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Wiggenhall St. Germans, St. Mary, and St. Peters

Norfolk - Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.556.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WIGGENHALL ST. MARY MAGDALEN is a village and parish on the west side of the Great Ouse, three quarters of a miles west from Magdalen road station, 7 miles south from Lynn and 6 north from Downham. in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of Downham, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary Magdalen is an ancient brick and rubble building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and porch, with a square tower containing 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £254, with residence and 3½ acres of glebe, in the gift of Henry English esq. and held since 1865 by the Rev. Frederick Davies B.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. Crabb Abbey was a nunnery of the order of St. Augustine, founded in 1181, and is now the residence of Edward Rowell esq. The land is all freehold. The principal landownrs are Mrs. Martin and Messrs. Peel and Fish, and W. D. Harding esq. (owner of Islington Lodge Estate). The soil is clay or fen; subsoil, clay, with a little silt. The chief crops are wheat, oats and beans. Three-quarters of the parish are fen, drained by a stem engine of 40 horse power.. The area is 4,248 acres; rateable value, £6,573; the population in 1871 was 826; in 1881 was 696.

POST OFFICE.—William Matthew Narborough, receiver. Letters through Lynn, arrive at 8 am.; dispatched at 5 p.m. Wiggenhall St. Germans is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; W. M. Narborough, clerk to the board

Board School, erected in 1875 for 160 children, average attendance 120; Philip John Budd, master; Mrs. P. J. Budd, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Marriages (1744-1805) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalene [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Wiggenhall St. Germans, St. Mary, and St. Peters