1891 Census Names Index
Will of Richard YOUNGMAN, 1785
White's 1845
Wighton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wighton watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Wighton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Wighton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wighton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 557.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WIGHTON is a parish and village adjoining Warham All Saints, 3 miles south-by-east from Wells and 2 north from Walsingham, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham and diocese of Norwich, situated on the road from Wells to Fakenham. The church of All Saints is a large edifice in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and square tpwer containing 1 bell: the fourteen windows of the nave have stained centres, representing the twelve Apostles and St. Paul and Barnabus respectively: in the south side of the chancel arch is an almost perfect rood staircase: in the chancel is a piscina and at the north door a holy water stoup. The register dates from the year 1660. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value 254 including 18 acres of glebea, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and now (1883) vacant. The Rev. John Henry Rushworth Pilling M.A. of Merton College, Oxford, who resides at Little Walsingham, is the curate. On land in the occupation of Mr. Charles Powell, are some traces of an ancient chapel. The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1874. There are charities to the amount of 80 yearly. At Crabbe's Castle, about 1 miles west of the village, are traces of ancient entrenchments: several Roman coins and other elics have been found there. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel. The crops are on the four-course syetm. The parish contains 2,932 acres; rateable value, 4,038; and in 1881 the population was 512.


POST OFFICE (Railway Sub-Office; letters should have R.S.O. Norfolk added).—Thomas Thompson, receiver. Letters arrive at 6.10 a.m.; dispatched at 6.10 p.m.; same on sundays. Walsingham and Wells are the nearest money order & telegraph offices

A school, with house for the master, was erected in 1873, to hold 100 children; it is supported by a voluntary rate; James William Crafer, master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, September 2008; spelling correction January, 2010, and links updated October 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Will of Richard YOUNGMAN, 1785
White's 1845
Wighton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wighton watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Wighton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Wighton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page