WILBY is a village and parish 1 mile east from Eccles Road station and 4 miles south from Attleborough, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross union, Shropham hundred, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an old flint building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave without aisles, and a gothic square tower containing 5 bells: the porch in the south-west is Norman. The register dates from the year 1541. The living is a rectory, with that of Hargham annexed, joint yearly value £390, with residence, in the gift of John Goodacre esq. and held since 1863 by the Rev. Francis Burges Goodacre M.D. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, erected in 1851. The chief landowners are the Earl of Albermarle and Sir Thomas Beevor bart.; the latter is lord of the manor. The soil is mixed; subsoil various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats; the area of the parish is 1,400 acres; rateable value, £1,517; the population in 1881 was 86.
Letters through Attleborough, the nearest money order office; PILLAR LETTER BOX in the village.
The children of the parish attend school at Eccles.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy"_ Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Quidenham (& Wilby) archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wilby [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page