WIMBOTSHAM, is a village and parish 1 mile north from Downham Market, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the road to Lynn, on the river Ouse. The church of St. Mary, standing on rising ground, is a Norman foundation, consisting of chancel, nave and large square tower at the west end containing 3 bells: the north and south doorways are very fine specimens of the architecture of the period; in 1854 the church was restored, the apse and chancel being entirely rebuilt by the then rector. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Stow Bardolph, the tithes are commuted at £380 11s. yearly, with 11 acres of glebe land: it is in the gift of Thomas Leigh Hare esq. and held since 1869 by the Rev. Edward Everard Blencowe B.A. of St. Alban Hall. Oxford, who resides at Stow Bardolph. Here is a Wesleyan chapel and two for Primitive Methodists. Between £40 and £50 yearly from fuel allotment is for coals. Thomas Leigh Hare esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is a clay and sand, subsoil, clay and sandstone. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 2,015 acres; rateable value, £3,319; the population in 1881 was 553.
This parish is in the united School Board district of Stow Bardolph, formed in 1877
Wimbotsham, Thomas William Jones, master
Barroway drove, John Horwood Walling, master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
1841, 1861 & 1871 Census Names Indexes [S.A.Whittle-Bruce]
Lewis' 1831 [S. A. Whittle-Bruce]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1908 [S.A.Whittle-Bruce]
Wimbotsham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Wimbotsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wimbotsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page