1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
1841, 1861 & 1871 Census Names Indexes [S.A.Whittle-Bruce]
Kelly's 1883
Lewis' 1831 [S. A. Whittle-Bruce]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1908 [S.A.Whittle-Bruce]
Wimbotsham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Wimbotsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wimbotsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wimbotsham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 647

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

WIMBOTSHAM, one mile N.N.E. of Downham, is a small village and parish with 222 houses, 606 souls, and 1,771 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir Thomas Hare, the lord of the manors. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a Norman structure with three bells : it is now undergoing a thorough restoration. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £5 6s. 8d., is consolidated with Stow Bardolph. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. The poor have a share in the Hundred Acre Common noticed with Downham. In Sep. 1835, Mr. Green, the aeronaut, descended here after a flight in his balloon from Vauxhall gardens ; after breakfasting with Mr. Pike, he ascended again, and alighted at North Runcton.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
1841, 1861 & 1871 Census Names Indexes [S.A.Whittle-Bruce]
Kelly's 1883 br>Lewis' 1831 [S. A. Whittle-Bruce]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1908 [S. A. Whittle-Bruce]
Wimbotsham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Wimbotsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wimbotsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page