1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883
White's 1845 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Winfarthing Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Winfarthing smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Winfarthing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Winfarthing

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 559.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

WINFARTHING is a pleasant vllage and parish 3 miles north-west from Burston station and 4 north from Diss in the Southern section of the county, Diss hundred, and county court district Guiltcross union, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an old building in the Perpendicular style, having chancel, nave, soth aisle and tower: the interior is plain, with an oak roof. The register dates from the year 1614. The living is a rectory, yearly value 570, with 33 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of the Earl of Albemarle, and held since 1883 by the Rev. George Keppel B.A. of Corpus Christi, Cambridge. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. The fuel allotment of 39 acres produces 52 yearly, and the Town's land of 45 acres, producing about 100 yearly, goes to support the school; the remainder is expended at the discretion of the trustees. There is an old tradition respecting a sword, called the Good Sword of Winfarthing, kept by the monks in former times, and which had belonged to a thief who had taken sanctuary : it is said to have possessed such virtues that people came far and near to offer gifts at its shrine. Here was formerly a deer park, containing 1,000 acres, enclosed by the Earl of Arundel in 1604 : the Lodge Farm, in the occupation of Mr. Henry Palmer, and on which there are two oak trees of extraordinary dimensions, is a portion of the land. The Crown formerly held this manor, but it was given to Sir William Montchesny by Henry VIII.; it is now the property of the trustees of the late James Mann esq. The Earl of Albermarle, Richard M. Phipson esq. of Norwich and Thomas Betts esq, are chief landowners; there are several smaller freeholders. The soil is heavy; subsoil, mostly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover, beans and peas. The area is 2,690 acres; rateable value, 4,328; the population of 1881 was 604.


POST OFFICE.—Miss Mary Howlett, receiver. Letters arrive from Diss at 8.20 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Diss.

There is a school in connection with the church, likewise a sunday school