1891 Census Names Index
Diss hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Winfarthing Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Winfarthing smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Winfarthing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Winfarthing

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 375-376

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

WINFARTHING, 4 miles N. of Diss, is a pleasant village and parish, having 156 houses, 691 souls, and 2,581a. 0r. 13 p. of land, chiefly the property of the Earl of Albemarle[sic Albermarle], who is also lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £12, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. J. Carver, M.A. There are 31a. 1r. 22p. of glebe, and the tithes are commuted for £571 10s. 4d. The Church (Virgin Mary), has a tower and five bells; and in superstitious times was in high repute for a sword preserved in it by the wily monks, called the "good sword of Winfarthing," said to posses great power in effecting the wishes of devotees, who came from all parts with large gifts and offerings. The sword had previously belonged to a thief, who had taken sanctuary in the church. The Montecaniso [sic Montchesny] family were formerly seated here, and had a large park well stocked with deer, the owner having liberty to keep dogs to hunt the hare, fox, and wild cat, in his wastes and forests. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here, and there are two schools in the village, one supported by the Rector, and the other by the Dissenters. The Town estate partly belonged to a religious fraternity or guild in early times, and now consists of the Guildhall and 39a. of land, let for £70 a year, which is applied in the reparations of the church, and the surplus is paid in aid of the poor's rate. The poor have £2 11s. 6d. yearly from the bequest of John Alden. In 1784 an allotment of 4a. 3r. 10p. was awarded for a gravel pit, and 40a. for the poor. The latter produces £54 a-year, which is expended in coals. Post Office at John Morley's. Letters arrive at 9.30 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; name correction November, 2009; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Diss hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Winfarthing smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Winfarthing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page