WISBECH St. MARY is a parish, with a station on the Midland railway, 3 miles south-west of Wisbech, in Wisbech hundred, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wisbech and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, Isle of Ely. The civil parish includes the ecclesiastical districts of GUYHIRN, MURROW (which will be found under separate headings), and the hamlets of THORNEY TOLL and THOLOMAS DROVE, and a portion of WISBECH FEN. The church of St. Mary is an ancient brick and stone buidling, in the Perpendicular style: it has a large chancel, with seven windows, which was restored in 1873, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners as owners of the rectorial tithes, a nave with wide drop arches, octagonal piers and clerestory windows, square embattled tower and peal of 5 bells; the font is much older than the present church: there are some curious brackets about the church, and the remains of an unusualy large stoup in the south porch. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £690, with house; tithe rent charge £808 with 12 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Richard Devereux Jones M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The living is at present subject to a pension of £ 230 to the late vicar. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel. Here are several important charities, the principal consisting of 61 acres, left A.D.1593 by Mr. Bond, 8 acres, added by the Commissioners of the Bedford Level (temp. Charles II.), comprising, with other lands, 75 acres, the rents of which, about £240 yearly, are given to the poor; 21 acres of land left in 1720 by Francis Hardy, for the endowment of a school for the parishioners; £50 left in 1695 by Mrs. Bend, the interest to be giventwo-thirds to this parish and one-third to Parson Drove; 25A. 3R. 26P. of land, in 1833-4, were allotted by the Inclosure Commissioners, to be let in small lots to tje poor of this parish at nominal rentals; 15 cottages have been erected for the use of poor labourers, who pay 1s. each yearly for them. The rentals of lands let to the poor are applied to the poor relief fund. The chariries enumerated are enjoyable by the whole parishioners of Wisbech St. Mary. The Ecc;esiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor and with the Dukes of Somerset and Bedford, Rt. Hon. H. C. E. Childers M.P. Rev. James Bellamy D.D. President of St. John's College, Oxford, Thomas Williason and Algernon Peckover esqrs. prncipal landowners. The soil is loam; the subsoil clay The chief crops are wheat, oats, peas, potatoes and root crops. The area is 9,720 acres; rateable value, £15,642; the population in 1881 was 2,124.
THOLOMAS DRVE, is a hamlet 2 miles south-west of Wisbech St. Mary. Here is a Primitive Methodist chspel.
THORNEY TOLL is a hamlet 7½ miles west from the parish church, and is included in the ecclesiastical parish of Guyhirn, which see. There is a Methodist Free Church in the Fen, at a place called The Allley.
National School (mixed), Mrs. Fanny Maria Butters, mistress
Railway Station, Robert Ward Kitchin, station master
Garn Robert Flavell
Jones Rev. Tichard Devereux M.A. [vicar], Vicarage
Newsham William J.P. Willock
Parish Council web-site
More information on Wisbech St. Mary [Alan Gresley]
Wisbech Genealogical Records [Forebears]
More on Wisbeck St.Mary [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page