1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Witton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Witton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Witton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Witton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 560-1.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WITTON, near North Walsham, is a parish 5 miles north-east from North Walsham station, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is of flint, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, round tower, and porch: the chancel was restored in 1875 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The register dates from the year 1558, and is in perfect preservation. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 228, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1846 by the Rev. Francis Proctor M.A. of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge. The tithe commutation is as follows:—To vicar, 120 10s. 4d.; to rector 264; in September, 1872, the rectorial tithe came into the hands of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who added 90 19s. 8d. to the vicarage. There is a substantial house of residence for the vicar, with a glebe of 5 acres, John Norris left 10 10s. a year to the vicar and 3 3s. for keeping his monument in repair, to be given to a poor family when not required for the monument. Witton Park, a noble mansion of white brick—commenced by the late John Norris esq. who did not, however, live to complete the erection—is the property of the Earl of Kimberley: it is now occupied by his eldest son, Lord Wodehouse: its situation is very delightful, being in the centre of a beautiful park and large plantations and on an eminence commanding a view of the sea. The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,704 acres; rateable value 2,371; and the population in 1881 was 253.


Letters through North Walsham arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at North Walsham

Here is a National school, with an endowment of 10, left by John Norris esq.; the late Lady Wodehouse built a school here; Miss Mary Scopes, certified mistress

Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Witton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Witton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Witton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page