1891 Cesus Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wiveton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The Golden Cock (inn) [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Wiveton postmill; Wiveton south postmill and Wiveton early postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Wiveton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wiveton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 561.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WIVETON (or WIVERTON) is a parish near the sea-coast, of the river Glaven, about half a mile west-by-south from Cley and 4 miles north-west-by-north from Holt station, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred and county court district, Walsingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a handsome building, chiefly in the Later English style; it has chancel, nave with clerestory and aisles, a square embattled tower containing 6 bells and a few ancient brasses. The register dates from the year 1717. The living is a discharged rectory, yearly value 207, in the gift of Benjamin Bond-Cabbell esq. and held since 1846 by the Rev. Anthony Thomas Hudson B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who is non-resident; the Rev. Everett Bishop B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, is the curate-in-charge. Ralph Greenaway, in 1529, devised property, now consisting of the rectorial tithes of Briston, with a barn and a rood of land, and 1,141 11s. 3 per Cent. Cpnsols, now producing am income of about 500 yearly , one-sixth for repairs to the church, the remainder in weekly distribution of bread and money among the poor, and for educational purposes. Wiveton Hall is the seat of William Gifford Back esq. and contains some fine carved oak panelling. Lord Calthorpe and Sir Alfred Jodrell bart. who are lords of the manor, nand William H. G. Buck esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are on the four-course system. The area is 1,504 acres; rateable value 1,610; the population in 1881 was 184.

Letters received from Dereham, through Holt. WALL BOX cleared at 4.30. Cley-next-the-Sea is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2008; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wiveton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The Golden Cock (inn) [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Wiveton postmill; Wiveton south postmill and Wiveton early postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Wiveton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page