1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Sandringham (including Wolferton) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wolferton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wolferton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 561.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WOLFERTON is a parish and small village and station on the Lynn and Hunstanton railway, being the nearest station to Sandringham, situated on the sea coast. 105 miles from London, and 7 north-by-east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. A building of carr stone and brick, with covered platform, has been erected, as waiting rooms for H.R.H. the Prince of Wales and family. The church of St. Peter is a large structure of carr stone, rebuilt after a fire which appears to have occurred before 1486: it is in Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, each of which contains a chapel at east end, enclosed by fine Early English screen-work, large southern porch, estored in 1868, and square embattled tower at west end containing 1 large and a small sanctus bell, and east window: the east screen, piscinę, and sedillia for three priests, and a portion of the rich woodwork in the roof of the nave still remain: the building was re-seated and partially restored some years since by the Hon. Spencer Cowper: in 1877 the chancel and sacristy were restored at a cost of between £200 and £300, defrayed by the late rector: there are some ruins of a sacristy at the north-east angle of the chancel. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £263, with 22 acres of glebe amnd modern residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1883 by the Rev. John Francis Mitchell B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. H.R.H. The Prince of Wales is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light, except the marsh land, which is stiff; subsoil, sand and carr stone onthe higherland, with clay in the marsh, generally farmed on the four-course shift. The area is 2,714 acres; rateable value, £3,583; the population in 1881 was 185.



Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; spelling corrections and links updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Sandringham (including Wolferton) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wolferton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page