1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wickmere (& Wolterton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Wolterton [GENUKI-NFK]
Wolterton Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wolterton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.561.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WOLTERTON is a parish 5 miles north-west from Aylsham station and 9 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district. rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. A short distance from the Hall are the ruins of an ancient church; little besides the tower now remains. The inhabitants attend the church at Wickmere with which the parish living is consolidated. The poor have 36s. yearly from Scamler's Charity. The Earl of Orford is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The greater part of the parish is comprised in the extensive park of Wolterton Hall, the property of the Earl of Orford: the old Hall having been destroyed by fire, the present mansion was begun in 1727 and completed in 1741, under the superintendence of Ripley, the architect: it is at present unoccupied. The soil is a good loam; subsoil, brick earth. The area is 722 acres; rateable value, 1,131; the population in 1881 was 47.— Letters through Aylsham, the nearest money & telegraph office

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wickmere (& Wolterton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Wolterton [GENUKI-NFK]
Wolterton Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page