WOOD-DALLING is a parish with a scattered population including CRABGATE and TYBY, from 3 to 4 miles N. by W. of Reepham, and has 574 souls, 125 houses, and 2,443a. 2r. 35p. of land, lying in a fertile dale, from which it was anciently called Dallinga. It was long the seat of the Dalling family, one of whom built the Hall (now a farm-house) about 1582. W. E. L. Bulwer, Esq., and the Marquis of Lothain, [sic.= Lothian], are owners of most of the parish; the former has the quit rentsand the latter the arbitrary fines of the manors of Wood-Dalling, Monceaux, and Halwood-Noijons. The former is lord of Crabgate, which lies in the manor of Heydon-hall. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has several memorials and brasses to the Bulwer's. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £8 8s. 4d., is consolidated with the rectory of Swannington. The patronage, with 110a. of land, and the rectorial tithes, belong to Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The latter were commuted in 1839 for £379 19s. 11d. The vicarial glebe is 56a. 1r. 38p., now let for £90. The vicar has also a yearly modus of £39 9s. 6¾d. A parsonage-house was built in 1847 ; and near it, in 1851, a neat school was erected, and is supported by subscriptions. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of £6 10s., left by Edward Bulwer, in 1658.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wood Dalling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wood Dalling watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Wood Dalling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Local information [UKVillages.co.uk]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page