1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wood Norton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wood Norton postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Wood Norton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wood Norton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.562.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WOOD NORTON is a parish 2 miles north-east from Hindolveston station, on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 6 east-by-south from Fakenham and 8 south-west from Holt, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Aylsham union, and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, brick tower containing 1 bell, and porch, and contains several monuments of late rectors, and was throughly restored and reseated in 1881, at a cost of nearly 1,000, raiised by subscriptions. The register dates from the year 1722. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Swanton Novers, nett joint yearly value 676 10s. with 60 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1879 by the Rev, Charles Martin M/A. of Christ Church, Oxford. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The fuel allotment is 20 acres, let for 25 yearly. The rents of the old workhouse and f 17 acrs of town land are carried to the rates. The rents of the fuel allotment, containing 20 acres, awarded at the enclosure of 1813, and of half an acre of other land, are given to the poor in coals. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church are lords of the manor and chief landowner of the parish, but their estates are leased to Lord Hastings and the (executors of) Mrs. Gill. Lord Hastings, the trustees of Mrs. Gill, William Norris esq. and W. S. Phillippo esq. are also landowners; the latter is the author of several well known works on social, religious and political subjects, for which see advertisement at the end of this book. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The parish contains 1,726 acres; rateable value, $2,440; the population in 1881 was 284.


POST OFFICE.—Miss Martin Harmer, receiver. Letters through Dereham arrive at 6.12 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. Foulsham os the nearest money order & Ryburgh the telegraph office

Parochial School, built in 1875, Miss Florence, Bottomley, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wood Norton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wood Norton postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Wood Norton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page