[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
WOOD-NORTON, 6 miles E. by S. of Fakenham, is a pleasant but straggling village and parish, containing 1,706 acres of land, 82 houses, and 308 souls. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, are patrons of the rectory, lords of the manor, and the principal landowners, but their estate is leased to Messrs. John Brooke and Wm. Brooke Gill. There are several other proprietors, the largest of whom is W. Norris, Esq., who has a good residence in the parish. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a brick tower, erected in 1700 ; and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 12s. 3d, consolidated with that of Swanton-Novers. The joint rectories were valued in 1831, at £709 and are now enjoyed by the Rev. John Shuldham, M.A. There are 63a. 3r. 29p. of glebe, and the tithes of this parish were commuted in 1841, for £380 per annum. There was anciently another church here, dedicated to St. Peter, some portions of which are now converted into a barn. The poor have 10s. a year from the rector, for the use of half an acre of land, enclosed from the waste. The Fuel Allotment, 20a. awarded at the enclosure in 1813, is let for £14, on lease for 40 years, the lessee covenanting to improve the land, and build a house upon it.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March and April, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wood Norton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wood Norton postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Wood Norton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page