WOODBASTWICK, a parish, 8 miles N.E. by E. of Norwich, has 52 houses, 293 souls, and 2,171a. 2r. 13p. of land ; but only 1,418 acres are assessable, there being several broads or lakes near the river Bure. Albemarle Cator, Esq., is owner of all the soil, lord of the manor, impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the Church, a small ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Fabian and St. Sebastian. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6, and in 1831, at £206, has been united with the rectory of Panxworth since 1699. The Rev. Henry Peter Dunster is the incumbent. The Town Land, 2a. and 5a., allotted to the poor at the enclosure of Mousehold Heath, in 1810, is let for £7 13s a year. A Free School for 30 children is supported by Mrs. Cator.
Post Office at William Fryer's ; letters arrive at 11.30 a.m., and are despatched at 2.15 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Norwich county court
Inns (and Brewery) in Woodbastwick [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Woodbastwick archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Woodbastwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page