1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1836, etc. [Local village site]
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Woodton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Village web-site
Woodton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Woodton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Woodton

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.563.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

WOODTON is a village and parish l0 miles south-east from Norwich, 5 north-west from Bungay and 4 from Ditchingham station, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, county court district of Bungay, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and Norwich diocese. The church of All Saints is an ancient rubble and flint building, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, Saxon tower, circular at its base but square at the top, with a fine peal of 6 bel!s, and north porch, and contains a marble effigy of Anne, the wife of K Suckling esq. who died in 1653: in April, 1879, this church was re-opened, after restoration, with a new roof of pitch pine and Broseley tiles, the chancel. reseated with oak, the nave and south aisle with pitch pine, and the windows restored, the north porch turned into a vestry and a porch added on the south ; the handsome old Norrnan font of Purbeck rnarble was discovered under a coating of brick and plaeter, and placed in a recess at the entrance of the church; the chancel and baptisterv are paved with Minton's tiles, the nave with plain black, buff and red. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value 620, with 20 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of King's College,. Cambridge and held since 1875 by the Rev. Frederick Edward Long M.A. late fellow of that College. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The church lands, which have long been appropriated for the repairs of the church, are 10A. 1R. in Brooke parish, now let for 12. 10s. yearly, together with 26A. 3R. for the relief of the poor, in this parish, lot for l3. l0s.. Henry Moyse, in 1705, devised 20 acres of land, a house, barn and stable, now let for 45 yearly, which is distributed at the church in bread and coals; the poor have also two other yearly allowances, amounting to 16s. Alexander Maxwell Callender esq. is the occupier of' a mansion here called Woodton Lodge. Robert Fellowes esq. of Shottesham Park, is lord of the manor.. . The largest landowners are Robert Fellowes esq. the Rev. Ernest J. Howman, Mrs. Bunn and William Brown esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. the chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 2,124 acres; rateable value, .3,141; the population in 1881 was 477.

Letters through Bungay, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Box closes at 3.30 p.m.; sunday at 11 a.m

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; R. N. Packer, jun. Bungay, clerk to the board

Board School, built in 1876, at a cost of 1,000, for 100 children, average attendance 74; Miss Marianne Baker, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April, 2003; links updated January 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1836, etc. [Local village site]
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Woodton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Village web-site
Woodton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Woodton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page