1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wormegay Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wormegay [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wormegay

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 563-564.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

WORMEGAY (or WERMIGEY), is a village and parish 4 miles east from Magdalen road station,and 7 south-south-east from Lynn, on the navigable river Nar, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Wormegay, or Wermigey. or Castle Wermigey (that is Weir-ming-eye, or the Weir-amid-Water) was formerly the head or seat of a barony, even before the Norman Conquest. The priory was built by Reginald de Warenne, of Castle Acre, in the time of Henry II. and its castle, the residence of the Lords Bardolph de Wyrmgey, was demolished in 1408 by Henry IV. the site of the castle is still distingishable. The church of St. Michael is a small low thatched flint building, consisting of chancel and nave, with small square tower contaiming 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, united in 1871 with that of Tottenhill, and augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, joint yearly value 300, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1840 by the Rev. William Henry Henslowe M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The fuel allotment of 21 acres produces 31 yearly. The remains of a very ancient cross have been replaced on the village green by William Gilson Hoff esq.    Henry Lee-Warner esq. who is lord of the manor, J. J. Coulton and William Boon esqs. are the principal landowners, but there are many small properties. The soil is various, peat and loam; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, turnips and clover. The area is 2,785 acres; rateable value, 3,398; the population in 1881 was 472.


Letters through Lynn, the nearest money order & telegraph office is at St. Germans. WALL BOX cleared at 3.20 p.m.; sundays at 10.30 a.m.

Here is a National school for the parishes of Wormegay & Tottenhill, Miss Eliza Warden, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wormegay Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wormegay [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page