WORMEGAY, or Wermegay, is a parish and small scattered village, 6 miles S.S.E. of Lynn, comprising 440 souls, 98 houses, and 2,838a. 3r.10p. of land, of which D. H. Lee Warner Esq. is principal owner and lord of the manor. This lordship was formerly held by the Bardolphs and Warrens, the former of whom had a castle here, of which the moat still remains ; and the latter founded a priory near the village in the reign of King John, for Austin Monks. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Michael, has lately been re-seated, and the living is a perpetual curacy, certified at £20, and augmented with £400 Queen Anne's Bounty, is now enjoyed by the Rev. W. Henslowe, M.A., and the Bishop of Norwich is patron. Here is a National school, the master of which is paid £20 per annum by D. Gurney, Esq. The Fuel Allotment, 21a. 3r. 23p., is used for cutting turf, and the herbage is let for about £9 a year. The poor have £2 a year out of the Park farm, as interest of money left by G. Brown and other donors.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wormegay Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wormegay [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page