WORTHING is a village and parish near the Elmham station, 4½ miles north from East Dereham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich situated on the Wensum. The church of St. Margaret is a small flint building, in the Perpendicular style, having a nave and short round tower. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Swanton Morley, joint gross yearly value £1,065 in the gift of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A. of Bylaugh Park, and held since 1863 by the Rev, Edward Lombe B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A. of Bylaugh Park is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Gooch's charity of £1 10s yearly is distributed The soil is light loam; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 690 acres; rateable value, £1.070; the population in 1881 was 113.
Letters through East Dereham. Elmham is the nearest money order & Telegraph office.
The children attend the National school at Swanton Morley.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Worthing watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hoe (& Worthing) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Worthing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page