[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
WORTHING parish, 4 miles N. of East Dereham, comprises 170 souls, 33 houses, and 785a. of land, mostly belonging to Chas. Lombe, Esq., the lord of the manor and patron of the CHURCH, which is dedicated to St. Margaret, and was repewed in 1835. The rectory is consolidated with Swanton-Morley. "Henry de Rie, by will without date, gave to the monks of Castleacre the mill of Worthing, with Thruston, the miller, his mother, and brothers, with all their substance!!!" The Town Land, 9a., is let for £14 a year, and applied in the service of the Church. The Dereham and Fakenham Railway intersects this parish, but the station is at Elmham, a ¼ of a mile from the Swan Inn.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Worthing watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hoe (& Worthing) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Worthing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page