1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wretton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wretton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Wretton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 566.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

WRETTON is a village and parish one mile west from Stoke Ferry railway station,and 6½ miles south-east from Downham Market station, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the river Wissey. The church of All Saints is a small building, consisting of chancel, nave and south aisle, a square tower with quoins of freestone and 2 bells: it was restored and re-roofed in 1863.. The register dates from the year 1693. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Wretham [sic. Wereham], joint yearly value £120. in the gift of the trustees of the late Mrs. Pratt and held by the Rev. Morgan Gwillim Thomas. The trustees of the late Mrs. Pratt are the impropriators of the tithes, which are commuted at £256. Here is a chapel for Primitive Methodists. Six acres of land were left to the poor by Miss Jane Forby, and at the inclosure about 20 acres of fen land were allotted to the poor, producing together an average yearly rental of $8, which is distributed in money annually on St Thomas' day. Henry Edwards Paine esq. solicitor, Chertsey, Surrey, is lord of the manors of Kavenham and Iron Hall. The principal landowners are A. H. Micklefield, Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, and Charles Bader esq. The soil is mostly black sand; subsoil. red sand and peat. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips &c. The area is 1,154 acres; rateable value, £1,823; the population in 1881 was 320.


Letters through Brandon, viā Stoke Ferry, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL LETTER BOX collected at 6.10 p.m. & on sundays at 11.10 a.m.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1876; Augustus Edwd. Roger Micklefield, Stoke Ferry, clerk to the board

Board School, Miss Mary Harden, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wretton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wretton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page