WRETTON, a parish and village mostly of detached houses, 6 miles E. by S. of Downham, contains 119 houses, 538 souls, and 1,102 acres of land, chiefly the property of J.B.S. Bradfield, H. Micklefield, and H. B. B. Mason, Esqrs., the former of whom is lord of the manor. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower and two bells, and the living is a perpetual curacy, certified at £10 2s. 6d., augmented with £400 Queen Anne's bounty, and consolidated with Wereham. E. R. Pratt, Esq , is patron and impropriator, and the Rev. J. Royle, incumbent. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel. A house, occupied by poor people, and 5a. 1r. 23p. of land, now let for £15 18s., were left by Jane Forby, in 1711. They have also 9s. 6d. a year, left by unknown donors. The Fuel Allotment is 25a. An acre of Parish Land was exchanged at the enclosure for a house and out premises, now occupied by poor people.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wretton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Wretton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page